This tasty low carb curry is made with Indian spices, low carb vegetables and a creamy coconut broth, perfect for a healthy keto meal. This recipe is easy to make with very little steps involved but will taste like you've spent all afternoon making it! It is also vegan friendly.
Picking the right aubergine
Since aubergine is the main ingredient to this vegan dish, picking a good ripe aubergine will give you greater success and better taste. An over ripe aubergine will not give you a very satisfying curry. They should be slightly firm but not hard. If you push on it with your finger and the plant feels very soft, or you're able to puncture the skin, it's too far gone. A ripe and ready aubergine will be slightly elastic so that when you lightly press and release it bounces back.
Their skin should be a shiny and vibrant purple with a green stem. Make sure to check the stem as it could be mushy or hiding some mould, in which the plant may also be affected.
Let’s get straight in to making this flavourful curry.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 aubergine, cut into small chunks
- ½ butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into small chunks
- 1-2 tomatoes, cut into chunks
- 400ml coconut milk
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large handful spinach leaves
- Fresh parsley or coriander, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the onion on a medium heat for 5-7 minutes until softening.
- Add in the garlic, spices, aubergine, squash and tomatoes and continue cooking for a further 5 minutes, stirring well and regularly to coat everything.
- Pour in the coconut milk and seasoning, then simmer for 15-20 minutes until the vegetables are softening.
- Stir in the spinach leaves and allow to wilt, then dish up into bowls and enjoy.
This veggie curry can stay up to 2-3 months in a freezer and not more than 3-4 days in a refrigerator. If stored properly, cooked vegetable curries can stay up to three months. So feel free to make this recipe in larger batches to enjoy throughout the months!