Granola is one of those deeply satisfying foods with its sweet flavour and crunchy texture. It’s a quick-fix breakfast or an afternoon snack that can bring comfort in seconds. It takes no time to prepare, you can easily pour into a bowl alongside your favourite milk, yogurt or simply great to enjoy on its own.
But store-bought granola tends to be high in carb content and laden with sugars, so it’s one of the food items that's swiftly removed from a Keto food shopping list. But we know you probably miss it, and if there were a Keto version available, you’d gladly add it back into your weekly meal plan.
Thankfully there are Keto granola options out there, but they can come with a hefty price tag for only a small amount. Better yet, why not make your own Keto granola? It’s incredibly easy to make, you can prepare a large batch in one go, and it’ll keep for weeks in an airtight container.
Let’s get straight to how you can make your own Keto granola!
Keto Granola Ingredients
It’s vital that all the ingredients you use to create your Keto granola are Keto-friendly, which means little to no sugar or carbohydrates and plenty of good fat and protein.
The great thing about making your own Keto granola is that you can adapt the recipe to suit your preferences and budget.
Here is our suggestion for a delicious and nutritious Keto granola mix:
- Low-carb nuts such as macadamia, walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts and pecans
- Low-carb seeds such as flax, chia and pumpkin
- Unsweetened shredded coconut
- Pure vanilla extract
- Keto-friendly sweetener such as Stevia or Erythritol
- Low-carb nut butter, check here for the best options
- Egg whites
- Optional extras like Keto choc chips, freeze dried berries, cinnamon or nutmeg
The basic mix of your homemade Keto granola will be nuts and seeds, held together with a nut butter and egg whites, then flavoured with Keto sweeteners, vanilla and optional extras.
Take time to research the best low-carb nuts, seeds and nut butters to make sure your Keto granola consists of the lowest carb ingredients. Some nuts, seeds and nut butters are high in carbs and if you mistakenly include these in your granola mix, you could kick yourself out of ketosis with one serving. You may not want to include any sweeteners; the pure vanilla extract along with a sweet spice like cinnamon may be enough sweetness for you to include in your homemade Keto granola.
The fantastic thing about making your own Keto granola is that you can pick and mix whichever ingredients you prefer, and make it according to your taste - as long as it’s Keto!
A Keto Granola Recipe
You now have a great idea about how you can create your own Keto granola that’s super nutritious and delicious, but how exactly do you make homemade Keto granola?
Let’s get to the specifics with an example recipe for you:
Keto Granola Ingredients
- 170g - Raw Almonds
- 125g - Raw Pecans or Walnuts
- 150g - Raw Hazelnuts
- 95g - Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
- 240g - Mixed seeds e.g. Pumpkin, Poppy, Flax and Chia
- 110g - Nut Butter
- 2 - Egg Whites
- 1 tsp - Pure Vanilla Extract
- ½ tsp - Stevia or Erythritol
- Pinch of Salt
Optional: ½ tbsp Cinnamon/ Handful of Keto Choc Chips/ Handful of Freeze Dried Berries
The method to make you Keto Granola
- Set your oven to 350°F/175°C
- Roughly chop the nuts and seeds with a good quality kitchen knife. If you have a food processor, give the nuts and seeds a few quick pulses. You’re aiming for a roughly chopped mixture, not ground.
- Place the chopped nuts and seeds in a mixing bowl, and add in the other dry ingredients, except for the optional extras - these will be added after baking.
- Stir together with a spatula or spoon until evenly mixed.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the wet ingredients together until well combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, stir together until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Line a large baking tray with baking paper, and transfer your Keto granola mix onto the lined baking sheet. Make sure you spread the mixture evenly out over the tray.
- Bake in the oven for around 25 minutes, or until the Keto granola becomes golden-brown in colour.
- Once baked, allow to cool. When cooled, you can add in your optional extras.
- Place in an air-tight container and keep in a cool, dry place.
This recipe is full of vitamins, minerals, protein and healthy fats with minimal carbohydrates. You can of course pick and mix whichever combination of nuts, seeds and extras you wish to use, as long as they’re all low in or free from carbs.
Once you’re familiar with the basic Keto granola recipe, you can get creative with alternative nut butters and optional extras. You may choose to swap the egg whites for MCT Coconut Oil, or replace the unsweetened shredded coconut with ground almonds.
Be brave and try different ingredients so you can continue to enjoy a variety of flavours, textures and nutrients.
Enjoy Your Homemade Keto Granola
The fantastic thing about making your own Keto granola is you can make a large batch and it will last for weeks, making it a brilliant budget-friendly option.
To make the best of your homemade Keto granola, keep it in an airtight container in a cool, dark place away from sunlight to preserve its freshness. It’s also an excellent idea to put a wipe-clean label on your container so you can mark down when you made the Keto granola, and keep track of how fresh it is, as well as how long it lasts! Then you have it as a go to Keto snack for the near future.
You can enjoy your homemade Keto granola for breakfast with your choice of milk, as a satisfying snack on its own, or an indulgent dessert served alongside low-carb yogurt and a few berries.
There are plenty of ways to adapt traditional meals and recipes to suit a Keto lifestyle, turning them into effective Keto snacks, so you can continue to enjoy your favourite foods, be healthy and feel phenomenal.
Need a go to Keto Snack? Check out our KetoKeto Bars
If it's particular flavours of KetoKeto that you're after, or you have a personal favourite, why not try a KetoKeto Combo. The more boxes you buy, the more you save.